French Art Deco Crucifix, 1930
French Art Deco Bronzel & Oak Crucifix - Ref 07812
from the Sainte-Claire de Mur de Barrez monastery (Poor Clares, read below)
Height: 16.5" (42cm), Width : 7.9"(20cm), Depth : 6.85(17.4cm)
Small traces of age. Very good condition !
contact : Laetitia@artdecoceramicglasslight.com
The Sainte-Claire de Mur de Barrez monastery was founded in 1653 by Sieur François d'Humières. Three of its sisters were the first Poor Clares in this place, one came from the monastery of Aurillac. The nuns devote themselves to the education of young girls. During the Revolution, the sisters were dispersed within their family. The buildings then served as a “communal house” with barracks and prison, then as a school, and around 1840, as a communal house.
After the failure of the establishment of the Visitandines, the Poor Clares of Aurillac sent five nuns, in 1868, to refound the monastery of Sainte-Claire de Mur de Barrez.
The monastery of Sainte Claire de Mur de Barrez is one of the few monasteries of Poor Clares to have been refounded, after the Revolution, in the original buildings of the foundation of 1653. Located in the heart of a medieval village of 800 inhabitants , at an altitude of 800 meters, it faces Aubrac and the Cantal mountains… a place conducive to the wonder of nature and contemplation.