Makers, Artists‎ > ‎Rückl, Antonin‎ > ‎

Rückl, Antonin - Biography

                                     CATALOG                    LIBRARY                    SIGNATURES                    AUCTION RESULTS                    EXTERNAL LINKS               
 



The ancestry can be traced back to 1704, with the documented presence of a master glassblower called Sebastian Rückl, who worked in a glass smelter near the Sumava mountain range in the Western part of Bohemia.

Jan Rückl, several generations later, also became a glass master, and founded his glass smelter in 1846, in Cyranuv Wostrov, now a town called Ostrava on the Eastern Central border of Slovakia.


​Antonin Rückl, son of Jan Rückl, founded his own glass works first in Vcelnicka, near Jindrichuv Hradec in 1875. Then, a second glasswork facility in Skalice near Ceske Lipy, south of Novy Bor in 1893. A third glasswork plant was establisihed in 1903 in the village of Nizbor, region of Beroun, slightly South-West of the capital Prague.

Post World War One, Bohemia now called Czechoslovakia, is no longer part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. In 1923, Antonin Rückl built a wholesale warehouse in Prague. This was the best economical period for glass exports of all kinds. The railway system was an important transportation system in this mountainous country, taking goods from all three glass plants to Prague.

It is the time the company changed to a 'family joint stock' enterprise, the shareholders of which were solely Rückl family members.


This may be a good point to acknowledge that the Rückl family descendants were numerous. A few did build some short lived glass facilities of their own at end of the 19th and the early 20th centuries, which were not part of the Antonin Rückl & Sons business enterprises.


During the interwar period, the plants produced virtually the entire range of home and decorative glassware, either fine crystal-glass and lead crystal, clear and colored, cut, polished or painted. The glassworks products had a very good reputation locally and abroad.


The company hired renowned glass designers such as Professor Joseph Drahonovsky (1877-1938), and Ludvika Smrckova (1903-1991).