Makers, Artists‎ > ‎Roux-Marquiand‎ > ‎

Roux-Marquiand - Biography

                                       CATALOG                    LIBRARY                    SIGNATURES                    AUCTION RESULTS                    EXTERNAL LINKS             
 
 
 
Lyon, 7 rue Centrale.
 
Created in 1876 by ​​two artisans, Chapuis and Marquiand that combine to build a silver shop, the company is called Roux-Marquiand in 1877, due to marriage. It will remain in the hands of the same family until the 1960s.In 1918, it is directed by a woman who, widowed during the war, maintains, supported by faithful craftsmen, a production of high quality.
 
This is an important company that will have up to 100 workers, employing a workforce of high level. It will never achieve religious silversmith and will focus only on silverplate, seeking to limit the hegemony of Christofle, omnipresent on the market. All facets of the profession are present, there are workshops in carving, polishing, silvering. The burnishing action of brown metal, is mainly done by women. Precision work, fitting, assembly parts are part of daily tasks, as well as repair of all damaged items, often for the hotel industry. Shortly after 1918, Roux-Marquiand performs neo-classical models that have been big hits. Then the company goes to Art Deco and shows at the Universal Exhibition of 1925, in Paris, a tea and coffee set that gets a gold medal. It will therefore provide regular Parisian department stores, Le Printemps (Primavera), Trois Quartiers, Galeries Lafayette. The design studio of the Galeries, La Maîtrise, led by Maurice Dufrêne, will have also in its catalog models by Roux-Marquiand proposed anonymously.
 
In 1929, the son Georges joined the company. From the Ecole des Métiers, section goldsmith, he worked first at the design office, before taking the reins of the company. He then opened an office in Paris, rue Saintonge. The clientele is metropolitan, but  he also exports to North Africa, Indochina, and the Middle East. So, the French colonies.

After World War II, he worked more for European export. In the 1960s, he created models for Hermes.
 
Until 2006, twenty designers were lending their talents to Roux-Marquiand: Jean Boggio is the first of them and has designed more than twenty collections of baroque. Muriel Besnard, another regular stylist, designs Art Deco and Art Nouveau, while Richard Lauret and the agency Tous Les Trois create lines more contemporary.

Roux-Marquiand was declining more than 2,000 references for a clientele who wanted high-end, often tailor-made. Especially for restaurants and prestige. Bernard Loiseau chose the model Frogs, Lucas Carton the Iris line and the Ritz in Paris the Psyche line. The company, located at Arloing dock today, in the district of Vaise (Lyon), also provided specific addresses as President of the French Republic, embassies, paquebots and large fortunes abroad.

As an association of designers, Roux-Marquiand closed in 2006. Since this date, each designer makes his own way. Jean Boggio, Tous Les Trois or Richard Lauret have their own studio and work for the same very important clients.



share about us