Makers, Artists‎ > ‎

Bayel


It is in 1300 that was given the first authorization by King Philippe le Bel to Philippe de Casqueray to establish a glassworks in Normandy. At the time, glass was considered a noble art. Comte Thibaut of Champagne, famous for having completed the Abbey of Clairvaux, saw the first the importance of allowing gentlemen to settle in his province. Glassworks settled to forest edge to find the necessary wood to ovens. The Bayel country was rich of all raw materials required for the manufacturing of glass (wood, ferns, sand, lime, clay) that allowed to obtain a glass of high purity. Very large privileges were granted to the glass makers, and some royal ordinances classes them as nobles.

In parallel, since 1200, the glass manufacturing is developping in the island of Murano in Venice, where the art of glass reachs highs.

In France, it takes Colbert, Louis XIV's prime minister to see appearing art glass. It was at this time that Jean-Baptiste Mazzolay, glassmaker in Muranos came to live in Paris and located by the king, received permission to open a glasswork. He then founded his factory in 1678 that had the privilege of providing the court with usual objects until 1727. The presence of other gentlemen of glass allowed around the opening of the factory in Bayel and they received the production and sale exclusivity between Chaumont and Paris. After a successful production, glassware sank slowly and in 1853, we no longer told of one master glassmaker at the factory. Then it was bought by Alexis Marquot that gives it life, aided by the construction of the railroad that allowed to open up the site.

From 1955, Bayel gradually becomes a crystal factory, and permanently abandoned glass work for the benefit of the crystal in 1966.