Architecture‎ > ‎Locations‎ > ‎Paris‎ > ‎

Théâtre des Champs-Elysées

Architect : Auguste Perret
15, avenue Montaigne, Paris 8e
Date : 1913





The project was initially entrusted to Henry Van de Velde. Having appealed to the company Perret for the concrete frame, Van de Velde was finally ousted from the project. Auguste Perret compromised a bit on his principles : he later asserted that the "concrete is sufficient in itself," here he dressed athefacade with travertine slabs and proscenium Allier marble slabs, where are built exceptional white marble reliefs of Emile-Antoine Bourdelle. The four interior column groups were left visible. The building has three theaters : a large semicircle hall in the Italian taste with  1905 seats dedicated to opera and music ; a medium hall with 601 seats (la Comédie) and a small hall with 230 seats (le Studio), both devoted to the theater. The interior of the theater includes some works by Bourdelle (bronze and frescoes). Maurice Denis realized the decoration of the dome (1910-1912) : The Greek Orchestique, Opera, Symphony, Lyric Drama, separated by tondi illustrating Chorus, Orchestra, and The Organ Sonata. Painters Édouard Vuillard, Ker-Xavier Roussel3 and Jacqueline Marval (1866-1932) also contributed to the decor.